Corded Diamond Core Drills
CORDED DIAMOND CORE DRILLS
Diamond Core Drills to help improve precision drilling!
Diamond Drilling is a form of Core drilling using a diamond-tipped drill bit to create precise holes in pipes, stone, or any other large-diameter hard-to-drill materials.
Drilling holes in things is one of the most common ways to make something more useful.
If you’re working with wood, plastic, metal, or any other material with a solid surface, it stands to reason that drilling holes in it will open up new possibilities for how you can use it.
Drilling holes is a task that almost every DIYer has to do from time to time, and most people have drills as part of their basic toolkits.
You probably already know that diamond tip drill bits are a common choice for drilling holes into different materials.
But do you know precisely how they work and the various ways they can be used?
Diamond tipped drill bits have different uses based on the type of material being drilled (whether it’s wood, metal, or even glass) as well as the size of the drill bit itself.
Let’s clear up some common questions about using drills with diamond tips and explore their various uses.
What are Diamond Drill Bits?
A diamond tip drill bit is a tool consisting of a hardened steel core with a coating of diamonds.
Diamond drills are designed to create holes in a variety of materials, including:
- and even some other types of metals.
Here’s a quick rundown of the different types of diamond drill bits you might come across:
- HSS-Coated: High-speed steel (HSS) coated drill bits are very common in the construction industry. These are great for straight holes in wood, soft metals, iron, and other soft materials.
- Carbide-Tipped: Carbide-tipped drill bits are great for a wide variety of different material compounds, including wood, plastic, ceramic, and glass.
- Cobalt-Coated: These diamond drill bits are typically used in industries like mining, oil and gas, and construction to drill holes in hard materials like granite and concrete.
- Diamond-Coated: This is the most common type of diamond tip drill bit, used for drilling holes in a variety of materials with a wide range of diameters.
- Solid Tipped: Solid-tipped drill bits are generally used for general construction and woodworking.
How do Diamond Drill Bits Work?
The diamonds on the surface of these drill bits are very strong and hard and can be used to cut away material from the inside of a hole.
The diamonds can cut even the most rigid materials like steel, concrete, and rock.
The most robust diamonds are found on the outer layer of the drill tip, which is why the tip of the drill is the most important part of the bit.
Drill bits with a larger diamond surface area will be able to cut materials faster and with less effort on your part, which is why diamond drill bits are so popular in the construction and manufacturing industries.
One thing to note is that drill bits don’t actually cut materials. Instead, they create friction on the material being drilled, which causes the material to heat up and break apart.
Diamond drills are great at creating this friction, so they can be used to cut and drill through a wide range of different materials.
Diamond Drills Create a Smoother Hole
Another advantage of using a diamond tip drill over a regular drill is that they create smoother holes.
This is because diamond drills can cut through materials more slowly than regular drill bits do. The slower cutting speed means that the diamond drill creates a smoother hole, which is perfect if you’re using the hole for something that needs to look good.
When you use a regular drill bit, the hole created isn’t as smooth. It creates sharper edges that aren’t aesthetically pleasing and aren’t very good for the material you’re trying to work with. Regular drill bits are designed to create a hole that is large enough to be useful without damaging the material you’re working with.
But diamond tip drills are designed to create a hole that is both big enough and smooth. They are great for when you need to create a hole for things like electrical wiring or plumbing.
Diamond Drill Bits Are Incredibly Durable
The first reason why you should use a diamond tip drill instead of a regular drill is that they are incredibly durable.
Regular drill bits are made of steel, which is a strong material. But diamond drills are made of diamonds. Yes, diamonds.
You might think that diamonds are too brittle to be used for a tool like a drill, but they are actually one of the strongest materials around. This makes them incredibly useful in a drill because they can withstand a lot of pressure.
If you use a regular drill bit, it will last for a single job, maybe 2. But a diamond drill bit will last for much longer. Drill bits made of steel are very durable, too, of course, but diamond bits have even more durability than steel bits.
This makes them the perfect choice if you need to drill through harder materials, like metals.
Which is the Best Type of Diamond Drill?
As you can see, each type of diamond drill bit is designed for a specific use.
For example, carbide-tipped bits are excellent for drilling into ceramic, concrete, and other hard materials but aren’t the best choice for softer materials like wood.
The best type of diamond tip drill bit for you will depend on your specific projects and needs.
For example, if you’re trying to drill through materials like concrete or rock, you’ll want to choose a cobalt-coated or diamond-coated drill bit to make the job as easy as possible.
On the other hand, if you’re drilling smaller holes in softer materials like wood or plastic, you might want to choose an HSS-coated drill bit because they’re smaller and will be less likely to break.
The 5 Main Uses for Diamond Drills
- Drilling Holes in Wood: Wood is a soft material, so HSS-coated or cobalt-coated drill bits are great for drilling holes in wood.
- Drilling Holes in Metal: If you’re drilling holes in metal, you’ll want to use an HSS-coated or cobalt-coated drill bit so that the bit doesn’t get stuck in the material.
- Drilling Holes in Concrete: Concrete is a very hard material, so you’ll need to use a diamond-coated drill bit to make the job easier.
- Drilling Holes in Ceramic or porcelain tiles: You can use virtually any type of diamond drill bit to drill holes in ceramic, but carbide-tipped bits are especially effective.
- Drilling Holes in Glass: You can use any type of diamond drill bit to drill holes in glass. However, a carbide-tipped bit will create the cleanest holes.
Other Important Functions of a Diamond Drill Bit
- Drilling Countersunk Holes: Countersunk holes are useful for everything from home repairs to manufacturing. Drilling countersunk holes are easier with a drill press, but you can also do it by hand with the right drill bit.
- Drilling Pilot Holes: A pilot hole is a smaller hole that is drilled first, then expanded with a more significant drill bit so that a screw or nail can be inserted.
For example, you can use a pilot hole to insert a nail into a wooden frame without the wood splitting.
Drilling pilot holes can be easier with the right drill bit. A smaller drill bit (like an HSS-coated or carbide-tipped drill bit) is ideal for drilling pilot holes in wood, plastic, or other soft materials.
What to look for when buying a diamond drill bit
- Size: The bit will determine the size of the holes you can drill. The larger the diameter of the actual drill bit, the larger the hole. You’ll want to choose a size that’s appropriate for your project.
- Surface Area: The larger the surface area of diamonds on the drill bit, the faster and easier the bit will cut through the material. A larger diamond surface area will also be stronger, which is especially important for drilling through harder materials like concrete.
- Shape: The shape of the drill bit will determine the path of the hole, with straight shank bits creating a hole that goes straight and curved shank bits creating holes that curve slightly.
Is Diamond For You?
Drill bits are an essential tool for any DIYer or construction worker. Diamond drill bits are especially useful for drilling holes in hard materials like concrete, metal, and even rock.
The strongest diamonds can be found on the very outer layer of the drill tip, which is why the tip of the drill is the most important part of the bit. Drill bits with a larger diamond surface area will be able to cut through materials faster and with less effort on your part.
For best results, you’ll want to choose a drill bit based on the material you’re drilling, the size of the hole you need, and the shape of the hole.
Have a look at our range of Makita Diamond Core Drills and kits and find the best one for you.